Primary Discussion Response is due by Friday (11:59:59pm Central), Peer Responses are due by Tuesday (11:59:59pm Central).
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400–600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments.
As you begin to consider your career goals, it is important to clarify your specific needs and interests. In most instances, you cannot get the job you want if you are not clear about what you are searching for as well as the types of jobs for which you qualify. With this in mind, discuss the following:
- Why did you decide to go into health care?
- What job titles have you considered?
- What skills and abilities would you like to use in your day-to-day work?
- What type of health care setting do you imagine yourself working in?
Assignment 2 — 3 pages )
To identify the types of positions you are most interested in (or most qualified for), conducting industry research is important. The work you put forth now will provide a large return on investment; the more clearly you can identify your goals, the greater your chances of fulfilling them.
Online professional networks provide useful ways to communicate with potential employers about your work experience, job skills, and education. Go to this Web site and click on “Add to profile.” If you do not have an account on this site already, please contact Career Services, and they will walk you through the process. Under “Add to profile,” find the qualifications that you have, and add them to your profile. Take a screenshot (CTRL + PRTSCN) of your profile after this update, and paste the picture in this document. As an extra boost to your profile, you may want to ask others to recommend you in these areas of qualification. Employers often review your profile for additional information. If they see that others have recommended you, that additional endorsement adds to your validation.
This week, you will begin by conducting research on 2 health care administration positions you are interested in and answer the following questions using Careeronestop.org. Careeronestop.org is a site created by the U.S. Department of Labor that will allow you to dig deeper into a variety of health care positions. For more information about searching for positions, view the tutorial below.
- Give a description of the job and typical job duties.
- What type of health care setting would this person work in (e.g., hospital, retirement home, insurance company)?
- What skills are needed to be successful in this position?
- What qualities are needed to succeed in this position?
- What certifications and education are needed for this position?
- What technology knowledge is needed for this position?
- How many years’ experience is required for this position?
- What is the typical salary for this position?
To answer the questions below, you will need to first review 3 advertised job descriptions you most likely want based on your research—using a job board, such as this one—for a position that you could realistically get after you graduate with your current level of experience, skills, and education. These jobs do not have to be in your geographic area, but make sure the descriptions are detailed enough to understand the requirements (e.g., provide job duties and qualifications) and that they match your current level of experience. Have these job descriptions in front of you as you answer the questions below. For more information about searching for jobs, view the tutorial below.
- Name the 3 titles you found on this Web site.
- What skills do you possess that are needed to be successful in each position, and what skills do you need to develop?
- How can you develop the skills that you do not currently possess?
- Do you have the work experience needed for each position? If not, what can you do to gain this experience while obtaining your degree?
Lastly, you will choose a health care organization to study over the course of the term. You may select any health care facility you wish (e.g., long-term care, hospital, home care, outpatient, etc.). Once you have chosen your facility, examine its organizational structure. Identify and discuss the following characteristics of your organization:
- What is the mission statement of this organization?
- What patient population does this organization serve?
- What interests you about this particular organization?
- What skills and experience do you feel you can contribute to the success of this organization?
As you progress through your degree program and begin to build your career, CTU is here to support you. You have your own dedicated career coach assigned to assist you with your personal career plan. You can contact your career coach to schedule an appointment by e-mailing [email protected].
- How to Identify Your Target Jobs
- Develop Your Personal Success Stories
- Action Bullets on Your Resume
- Creating Your Profile
- Job Search Checklist
- Job Search Steps
Indeed. (2013). Retrieved from http://www.indeed.com/
LinkedIn. (2013). Retrieved from http://www.linkedin.com/
Please submit your assignment.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.