Module1 Assignment: Management
This assignment is divided into three parts. In Part A, you will consider the skills and competencies of manager. In Part B, you will consider ethics and corporate social responsibility. In Part C, you will write a profile of your views of management.
Parts A and B will count for 10 per cent of your final course grade with marks distributed as follows:
|Part A: A Manager With Whom I am Familiar||60|
|Part B: Ethical and Social Responsibility||40|
Part C: Self-Profile contributes to your major project and will count for 4 per cent of your major project mark.
CASE STUDY (MINZTBERG) REFERENCE FOR PART A: QUESTION 1 OR MORE
Part A: A Manager With Whom I Am Familiar (60 Marks)
Think of a manager with whom you are familiar. Look at the skills and competencies of this manager. Do not be constrained by the working title of manager in a business.
- Identify and give examples of two of the manager’s competencies and how they correspond with Minztberg’s managerial roles. (10 marks)
- Describe how the manager’s tasks fall into planning, organizing, leading, and controlling activities. (20 marks)
- Consider whether the manager acts efficiently and/or effectively in terms of adding value. Provide two examples (other than delegating and/or empowering employees) to support your decision. (10 marks).
- Comment on two ways that the manager could be a more efficient and/or effective manager. (10 marks)
- Analyze whether the manager effectively delegates and/or empowers his or her employees. (10 marks)
You may have to interview the manager to obtain the information you require.
Part B: Ethical and Social Responsibility (40 Marks)
Ethics and Social responsibility have been becoming a more and more important topic in the business world in recent years. Please answer the following three questions concerning social responsibility (Questions 1–3 are on page 22 in the textbook):
- Contrast the classical and socio-economic views of corporate social responsibility. (10 marks)
- Discuss the role that stakeholders play in the four approaches to corporate social responsibility. (10 marks)
- What does corporate social responsibility mean to you personally? Do you think business organizations should be socially responsible? Explain. (20 marks)
Part C: Self-Profile (Major Project) (4% of your major project grade)
Look back at the answers you gave for “Module 1 Quiz 1” in Topic 1 of this module. Write a profile on your current view of management. Your discussions should be approximately one and a half pages (approximately 400 words). At the end of the course, as part of your major project, you will compare your thoughts on management to the self-profile you are doing now, to see if there have been any changes.